team_bannerShire recorded their fifth straight win with a thrilling 3-2 victory at Albion Rovers, a result that keeps them second top of the Third Division. It’s also the club’s longest winning run since 1979/80 season.

But the points looked in doubt for a long time at Cliftonhill. Coatbridge striker, Kenny Wright, propelled his team into a 2-0 interval lead that would have been 3-0 had not Shire keeper Darren Hill saved his 39th minute penalty kick.

Shire took their time about a comeback but pulled one back when Derek Ure squeezed the ball over the line from a tight angle after 72 minutes.

A penalty five minutes from the end gave Gary Kelly the chance to equalise and in the third minute of injury time Sean Simpson fired home the winner.

“I honestly didn’t think we would do it,” said Shire boss Gordon Wylde afterwards. “They had stopped us playing quite effectively, but after we scored they started to look very tired and you could see the goals coming.

“It just goes to show the kind of team spirit we have here. At half-time the players told me they were all determined to go out and get the goals in the second half to win the game and they did that.

“But we could have done it a lot easier.”

Wylde and his delighted bunch of players are keeping their feet on the ground, however.

“We may be sitting second and have won our fourth league game of the season but I  would still settle for ninth place at the end of the season,” said the Shire boss afterwards.

“I really mean that, anything off the bottom would be great news but the way things are going I expect we will do a bit better than next to last.”

A dejected Albion Rovers boss, John McCormack admitted his team had thrown the points away. “We should not have lost the game having been two goals up. But sometimes, that’s football,” he said.

A full match report is now online and can be accessed from the Fixtures page.

You can also see shireTV’s Post Match feature which this week seeks the views of Gordon Wylde, penalty scorer Gary Kelly and keeper Darren Hill, who kept Shire in the game with a first half penalty save.

Comments are closed.